Skip to content

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa

Migration Agents Melbourne · Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa · 870 · To Legal with 20+ years of experience can help you and your parents.

Are you thinking about bringing your parents over to Australia? An option could be the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa depending on your circumstances.

You may have thought about the Parent visa option, but do not satisfy the Balance of Family test.

Alternatively, you may actually meet the Balance of Family test and have lodged the Contributory Parent visa, however the prescribed processing time is about seven years and you cannot wait that long.

The Sponsored Parent Temporary visa could be the solution.

This visa allows your parents to live in Australia continuously for three or five years while waiting for the Contributory Parent visa to be processed. Alternatively, it could also allow your parents to stay in Australia for a longer period, if the Balance of Family test cannot be satisfied.

This temporary visa has two streams:

  • 3 years – $5,355
  • 5 years – $10,575

This temporary visa does not result in or become Australian permanent residence and you cannot extend the visa.

However, if your visa is about to expire and you leave Australia for 90 days, you can re-apply and come back to Australia but note the total maximum period is 10 years.

At first instance, this temporary visa may not be worth it due to costs.

However, upon careful examination, if your parents come to Australia and visit you then leave Australia and then return again, the international airfare for each travel will be significant and be similar or less than the visa charges.

For those adult children with younger children, having grandparents in Australia will save significant costs in childcare fees. However, more importantly, it allows your children to spend time with their grandparents.

Basic Eligibility

Firstly, the sponsor must be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident and usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen and usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years

Secondly, the sponsor must be at least 18 years old and be the child of the parent or the partner of the child of the parent.

Thirdly, the sponsor must satisfy the income test, namely:

  • the sponsor’s most recently completed tax return must show a taxable income of at least $AUD 83,454.80
  • the sponsor’s taxable income can be combined with a partner or another child of the parent and must show a combined taxable income of at least $AUD 83,454.80. If combining income, the sponsor’s table income must be at least 50% of $AUD 83,454.80.

Fourthly, the parents must:

  • intend to stay in Australia temporarily within the three or five year period
  • have, or have access to, enough money to support themselves while in Australia.

For cost-effect immigration services, contact Migration Agents Melbourne and we will assist your parents come to Australia.

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) Visa

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (870)
Sponsorship charge
Base application charge – 3 years option
Base application charge – 5 years option

Migration Agents Melbourne News and Articles